Public Relations ManagerPublic Relations Manager
Location: Mountain Hardwear - Richmond, CA
Requisition Number: MH-238
# of openings: 1
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
General Position Summary:
The Public Relations Manager reports to the Brand Manager, Communications, and manages all areas of Public Relations including developing materials and building, contributing to and/or maintaining plans that will increase brand awareness and media exposure of the Mountain Hardwear and Montrail brands.
The PR Manager will implement seasonal and long range PR strategies and plans, which will support global brand marketing goals of increasing awareness and relevance of Mountain Hardwear / Montrail brands among target consumer groups, and positioning Mountain Hardwear / Montrail as the leading innovative outdoor brand.
This position requires the ability to manage inception through delivery of PR programs and projects and act as the department’s lead editor & copy proofreader.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
* Work with Brand Manager, Communications to develop PR strategies and plans to share Mountain Hardwear/Montrail product, athlete, Gives Back and Sustainability stories
* Leverage relationships with print/online/TV trade and consumer media to deliver brand message
* Coordinate and execute programs such as proactive product placement/seeding, press kit development and distribution, trade and consumer press briefings and events
* Identify, develop and coordinate media tours and press events to support specialty seasonal communication goals
* Develop and maintain product PR plans, seasonal calendar and collateral including look books, press kits, pitch letters, etc.
* Initiate and maintain positive relationships with media. Includes in-person briefings, event attendance, story pitching and responding to editor inquiries
* Supervise PR team members and manage PR agency relationships
* Manage internal PR communications, interviews, research and editing of material
* Represent brand at industry function/activities and tradeshows
* Develop consistent, measureable reporting of Mountain Hardwear and Montrail media coverage
* Manage relationships with Gives Back partner organizations
* Manage public relations budget by good planning, discipline and tracking
* Stay abreast of new public relations and industry trends and integrate into strategy
Maintain positive open lines of communication with all Mountain Hardwear / Montrail / Columbia Sportswear management, staff and other departments in order to contribute to the smooth flow of information and efficient operation of the organization. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Job involves a high degree of complexity in dealing with new and sometimes unique work situations. Duties are performed with only general directions and work is checked or verified more by results. Decisions are made within general company policy constraints. Errors in judgments can adversely affect company image, cause loss of revenues and/or profits. Responsibilities also include partial accountability for operational budgets and partial accountability for strategic planning.
This position is supervisory in nature.
Contacts are made with others both inside and outside the organization. External contacts may include members of the media, advertising/PR agencies,the general public or photographers. Interactions tend to focus on project development, information exchange, problem solving or receiving directions. Contacts may contain confidential/sensitive information. Incumbent frequently initiates contacts on his/her own.
Specific Job Skills:
* Possess extensive knowledge of the public relations function.
* Extensive knowledge of media relations principles and procedures.
* Well developed ability to read, write, and speak English.
* Well developed writing skills; knowledge of and experience with journalistic style writing.
* Must have excellent verbal communication skills.
* Ability to be creative and innovative, especially in written communications.
* Possess good organizational skills and attention to detail.
* Mental ability to conduct interpersonal interactions with the media, members of the public and Company personnel.
* Ability to represent the company in a manner that enhances its image.
* Ability to solve problems and operate independently and with discretion, and work effectively under pressure.
* Physical ability to use telephone, computer hardware/software including keyboard, type, sit and stand for extended periods of time, and occasionally lift/carry up to 10 pounds.
Education and/or Experience:
* Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and or experience specializing in public relations, journalism, communications or related field.
* At least 5 years public relations experience in a demonstrated supervisory capacity. Existing relationships with media required.
* Outdoor Industry experience is a plus.
Job requires travel in the U.S. and possibly overseas. Job may require hours that exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week and occasional weekends to complete priority projects. Job pressure exists in the balancing of a variety of projects, numerous simultaneous deadlines.
Equal Opportunity Employer